Smplayer is basically a front end of MPlayer, which is arguably the best video player in linux. Though i would prefer VLC 1.0 over the player. But it all depended on your choice. And the choice is what Linux is all about. Smplayer constitutes all the basic features like playing videos, mp3’s, DVD’s, CD’s etc, but also include advanced applications like support for MPlayer filters and more.
Smplayer 0.6.6 is the default version of smplayer you have in your ubuntu. Latest release, smplayer 0.6.8 has been released and read on to know how to upgrade to this latest release in Ubuntu.
For starters, some of the Smplayer features include:
- Smplayer will remember the settings of all file you play. That means when you close a movie uprubtly, smplayer will resume from the same position, with the same settings.
- Configurable subtitles. You can choose font and size, and even colors for the subtitles.
- Audio track switching. You can choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi and mkv. And of course with DVDs.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X… and even in slow motion.
- SMPlayer is under the GPL license.
Add GPG Key
- Goto Terminal and Copy-Paste the following command.
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com E4A4F4F4
Adding Launchpad Repo
- Goto System > Administration > Software Sources and select Third-Party Software tab and click ADD. Enter the repo according to the Ubuntu version you use.
For Ubuntu Jaunty
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu jaunty main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu jaunty main
For Ubuntu Intrepid
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu intrepid main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu intrepid main
For Ubuntu Hardy
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu hardy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu hardy main
Upgrade to Smplayer 0.6.8
- Goto Terminal and Do.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- OR goto Synaptic, then Mark All Upgrades and Apply. I hope everything works fine. 🙂