XBMC 9.04, code named Babylon is released. If you are not familiar with xbmc media center yet, take a sneak peak into the features xbmc has to offer. XBMC is an award winning Open Source Multimedia application, which is also really easy to use. Also take a look on how to install XBMC in Ubuntu Intrepid.
Update: XBMC 9.04.1 is released. Install it straight away.
XBMC Babylon has many new features and bug fixes. Some of them include,
- Support for Power PC Architecture( MacOSX for example).
- VDPAU hardware accelerated video decoding under Linux on NVIDIA graphics.
- New and improved Karoke Features.
- More Media Info Scrapers.
- Improved FanArt support.
- Enhancements to the XBMC Skinning Framework and so on.
The saftest and easiest way to Install or upgrade this new release of XBMC is by adding the XBMC PPA for Jaunty Jackalope. Here is how it can be done.
Add GPG Key
- Copy-paste the following in Terminal
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 9317790E
Add PPA Repo For Ubuntu Jaunty
- Goto System->Administration->Software Sources and select the Third party Software tab. Click ADD. And add the following repo for Jaunty.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu jaunty main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Installing XBMC 9.04 in Ubuntu
- Goto Terminal and do
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install xbmc
- You could goto synaptic package manager and search for the pakage xbmc and then install it from there itself(so that you need not have to use command line at all)
UPDATE: After doing all these, and if you still don’t have XBMC in your synaptic, please do sudo update-apt-xapian-index in Terminal. And try installing afterwards.